Wales has set a target to be zero waste by 2050. We are miles ahead of EVERY OTHER country in the world when it comes to recycling. You may go away somewhere and feel frustrated about their recycling efforts. Even England have some way to go compared to us. We are currently second in the world but are due to overtake Germany in first position this year. How absolutely amazing.
Don’t be annoyed or frustrated though when you go elsewhere – these countries need us to take the lead. They are watching what we’re doing and will learn from us. Feel proud.
In Torfaen we have:
Weekly black box collections. Taken from the Torfaen website they collect:
- Cartons (Fruit Juice, Children’s Drinks, UHT Milk/Milkshake, Soup)
- Catalogues and telephone directories
- Clothes, textiles and paired shoes (please bag)
- Empty aerosols (no spray paint of industrial aerosols)
- Foil (clean)
- Food tins and drink cans
- Glass jars and bottles
- Newspapers, magazines and junk mail
- Plastic (e.g. yoghurt pots, ice cream and margarine tubs, microwave food trays, detergent bottles, plastic lids)
Fortnightly cardboard collections from your blue bag.
Weekly food waste collections in your big brown food caddy.
Fortnightly garden waste collections from April to October in your green bin.
Full information on what is accepted at the kerbside can be found here: