Here are the steps to set up your own collection whether it be outside your house or at your workplace or well, anywhere really!
- Find a box! I like these ones from Ikea https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/sortera-waste-sorting-bin-with-lid-white-10255897/ and https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/sortera-waste-sorting-bin-with-lid-white-70255899/
- Label it or them so people know exactly what they should be putting in them and you don’t get contaminated waste or recycling. We used sharpies but there are also posters attached to here or better quality ones can be downloaded from the Terracycle wesbite.
- Tell people about them! I have a crisp packet and confectionery bin outside my house so I wrote to my neighbours telling them about it. But if in your workplace, email people telling them. (My letter is at the bottom of this post which you are welcome to copy.)
- Collect the items until you have loads and loads and loads and loads.
- Arrange to take your recycling to a drop off point for example at the Refill Station or Usk community recycling project.
Terracycle literally recycle anything and everything. Please take a look at their website for any questions or any other recycling streams. If you do decide to set up a collection, please message me so I can add it to the list of local collections taking place.
Hello 😊 I’m Lauren from —-. As a household we are trying to live a more eco conscious life and have made lots of changes to the way we shop, eat, and live by making small changes. I have set up a Facebook group called, ‘A journey to zero waste in Torfaen’ which you are welcome to join. It has attracted over 2000 members in a week! The reason for this note is to say that there is a white Ikea box outside my house with empty crisp packets in. If you would like to add your empty crisp packets too you are very welcome, and I will arrange to send them off to Terracycle for recycling. Just save them up and pop them in when you’re passing. Please don’t fold or scrunch them. Just place them in flat. You can also place the outer packaging of multipack bags too. Thank you for reading – hope to see you on the Facebook page! Lauren x